Indus River System
The Ganga River System
- Source of river :- Angsi glacier near Mansarover Lake
- Other Name :- Tsangpo, Yarlung Zangbo (Chinese Name), Dihang or Siang (Arunachal Pradesh), Jamuna (Bangladesh)
- Tributries :-
- Right Side :- Kameng River, Manas River, Raidak River, Jaldhaka River, Teesta River, Subansiri River
- City on the Bank :- Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Tezpur
- Majuli is the World’s Largest River Island formed by the Brahmaputra River.
- Sunderban Delta is the world largest Delta fromed by the Ganga and Brahmaputra River
- It is India Largest by volume river of India.
Narmada river system
- Source of river:- Narmada Kund, Amarkantak Hills, Madhya Pradesh
- Other name :- Rewa, “Life line of Madhya Pradesh”,
- Tributries :-
- Northern side :- Hiran, Barna, Choral, Karam and Lohar
- Southern side :- Sher, Shakkar, Dudhi, Tawa (biggest tributary) and Ganjal
- Cities on the bank :- Jabalpur, Bharuch etc
- Dam on the Narmada river :-
- Sardar sarovar Dam
- Maheshar Dam
- Indra Sagar Dam
- Narmadā is a Sanskrit word meaning “the Giver of Pleasure“.
- Forms the traditional boundary between North India and South India.
- One of the rivers in India that flows in a rift valley, flowing west between the Satpura and Vindhya ranges.
- Border between Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra and border between Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Form Dhuandhara waterfall at Jabalpur.
- The Omkareshwar island, sacred to the Lord Shiva, is the most important river island in Madhya Pradesh.
Tapi River System
- Source of river :- Satpura Range, Multai, near Betul, Madhya Pradesh
- Tributries of river :-
- Right side tributaries :- Vaki, Gomai, Arunavati and Aner
- Left side tributaries :- Nesu, Arunavati, Buray, Panjhra, Bori, Girna, Vaghur, Purna, Mona and Sipna
- Cities on the Bank of river :-
- Bhusawal in Maharashtra,
- Betul, Multai, and Burhanpur in Madhya Pradesh, and
- Surat in Gujarat.
- Dam on the Tapi river :-
- Hathnur Dam (Maharashtra)
- Kakrapar Weir (Gujarat)
- Ukai Dam (Gujarat)
- Girna Dam (Maharashtra)
- Dahigam Weir (Maharashtra)
- Tapi river also known as Tapti is the daughter of Surya (the Sun God).
- The Purna is one of the principal tributaries of the Tapi, starts in Betul district in Gawilgar hills of the Satpura range
- The Girna another Major tributary rises in the Western Ghats and drains Nasik and Jalgaon districts of Maharashtra.
Mahanadi River :-
- Source of river :- Nagri town in Dhamtari districtof Chhattisgarh.
- Tributaries of river :-
- Cities on the Bank of river :- Sambalpur, Cuttack
- Dam on the river :-
- Hirakud Dam (India Highest Dam)
- Dudhawa Dam
- All distributares form the Mahandi Delta
- Source of Godavari river :- Nashik, Maharashtra, India
- Tributaries :-
- Cities on the Bank of River :-
- Trimbakeshwar :- One of the 12 Jyotirlingas and old place of worship for Lord Shiva.
- Nashik :- One of the four Sinhastha Kumbh Mela and also a Hindu religious site.
- Nanded :- Home to Takht Sri Hazur Sahib, one of the five holiest sites in Sikhism.
- Paithan :- Home to Saint Eknath’s dwelling area, popular Jayakwadi dam, and a picturesque garden called as Sant Dnyneshwar Udyan.
- Kaleshwaram :- Sri Kaleswara Mukhteswara Swamy Temple is located here
- Antarvedi :- Home to Laxmi Narasimha Swamy temple.
- Dam on the River Ganga :-
- Havelock Bridge
- Source of Krishna River :- Near Mahabaleswar, Maharashtra
- Tributaries :-
- Dam on the river Krishna river :-
- Krishna Pushkaram fair which is held once in twelve years on the banks of the Krishna river.
- The first holy place on the river Krishna is “Dakshin Kashi Wai“, known for the Mahaganpati Mandir and Kashivishweshwar temple.